Build TrustSecure Transparent Accurate Relevant Consistent
Create confidence by ensuring that users’ experience with data and analysis is always Secure, Transparent, Accurate, Relevant and Consistent (STARC).
- Prioritize information security, and let users know their data privileges and permissions are secure.
- Show what’s happening under the hood: when the system has done a lot of work, when things are going well, and when they’re not. Reveal what users are curious about: capacity, utilization, system performance, usage, join paths, data models, query visualizations and disambiguations.
- Guarantee precise computations and correct data. They’re our “table stakes”—the price of entry for a data-related product.
- Contextualize automated analysis and computations, so they’re unique to each user’s preferences and interests.
- Related concepts should feel similar, and work in similar ways. Everything should feel reassuringly intentional and coordinated, rather than random.
Ensure AvailabilityDegrade gracefully Recover quickly
Design, build and maintain ThoughtSpot as a fully-stable, highly-available, mission-critical system that degrades gracefully—and recovers quickly.
- Degrade gracefully
- Build intentional redundancy into systems so that, if one service or component becomes unavailable, the system as a whole remains completely functional.
- Recover quickly
- Build a system that bounces back from disaster fast, and let users know when it does. Meanwhile, provide guidance on what to expect, workarounds for the interim, and even ways to help.
Make It QuickUnlock speed Create efficiency Optimize for common use cases
Make It Quick
Build and deliver the app for a snappy user and customer experience. Create efficient UI/UX patterns that make using and upgrading ThoughtSpot fast and easy.
- Unlock speed
- For faster performance, optimize data processing, micro services, page loads, and UI components and functionality. And, to enhance the perception of speed, use caching, prefetching, lazy loading, loading indicators, or skeleton loaders.
- Create efficiency
- Intelligently apply automation so using ThoughtSpot doesn’t feel like “work.” Cut down on effort and tasks by showing only what’s necessary. Make information consumption easy and efficient with a strong information hierarchy. Minimize clicks and operations, and reduce overhead, by prioritizing first systems automation, then crowdsourcing, and finally admin operations.
- Optimize for common use cases
- Design for common use cases first, but don’t forget to make extreme cases possible.
Stay ApproachableKeep it familiar Reassure users Make it accessible
Make the user experience feel familiar, inviting and understandable, yet technically advanced. Keep interactions and workflows simple.
- Keep it familiar
- Make ThoughtSpot easy to understand and use by borrowing patterns from popular products, or using metaphors everyone knows.
- Reassure users
- Make them feel comfortable and empowered, with language that’s clear, conversational, and approachable.
- Make it accessible
- Make the ThoughtSpot experience comfortable and intuitive for everyone. Create a UI and UX that adapts easily to diverse languages, cultures and accessibility standards.
Create DelightBuild beauty that works Make meaning with motion Use clear, friendly language
Make ThoughtSpot distinctively engaging and pleasurable, through visually appealing graphics, data visualizations, animations, micro-interactions, and clever copy. Think of UI and UX quality as non-negotiable. Build in pleasant surprises at every opportunity.
- Build beauty that works
- Use design to create hierarchy, meaning and focus. Use typography, space, grids, scale, color, imagery and motion to make data presentation and consumption not just engaging, but truly inspiring.
- Make meaning with motion
- Reinforce context, highlight events, and give users feedback, through animations and micro-interactions.
- Use clear, friendly language
- Explain concepts with an inviting tone, in simple everyday phrases, and without technical jargon—whether in the product, the UI or documentation.
Be ProactiveCreate automation through information Empower users Reduce effort
Design intelligent systems that learn from user activity, leverage existing context, and infer intent. Then, use these learnings to produce insights, simplify existing tasks, and suggest new ones.
- Create automation through information
- Leverage users’ activities, and the collective activity of their teams, to produce insights and suggest relevant content.
- Empower users
- Design for learnability. Help all users understand how to use ThoughtSpot instantly, then become progressively more fluent.
- Reduce effort
- Anticipate users’ next step, then lead them to it—or, even better, do it for them. Offer more than what’s needed. Go beyond what’s expected.
SimplifyLess input, more output Make it simple to learn Make it easy to consume
Eliminate the obvious, keep the essential. Progressively disclose information, functionality and controls. Cut down on clicks, steps, data to input, and new concepts to learn.
- Less input, more output
- Ask users for little to no upfront participation, while still providing all the calculations, data and results they need. Create proactive features, systems, and experiences that consistently surpass user expectations for both simplicity and power.
- Make it simple to learn
- Users should be able to apply ThoughtSpot productively and enjoyably, without training or documentation.
- Make it easy to consume
- Design and present concepts so they’re clear and understandable. Show the right amount of information and functionality at the right time, but take care to avoid information overload.